WRTC 2018 is now Accepting Applications for Referees
The Organizing Committee of the World Radiosport Team Championship (WRTC) 2018 in Germany is opening the application process for qualified individuals that would like to serve as referees. WRTC is unique among amateur radio competitions in that it places an on-site Referee with every operating team. Application may be sent until October 31, 2017.
The primary responsibility of the referee is to monitor the competitors to confirm that they are following all of the WRTC rules. The referee may be required to make a ruling as to whether equipment can be replaced. Referees also serve as a communication back-up to report the score of their team on a regular basis for the online scoreboard.
Three times WRTC referee veteran Heinrich Langkopf, DL2OBF, asked: “Can you stay up 24 hours doing nothing but listening? Can you do this with a different audio channel in each ear? Yes? Then you should apply as a WRTC-referee! Help to make the next Olympics of Ham Radio possible and get access to the shack of some of the world’s best contesters.“
The referee selection process is being led by Ulf Ehrlich, DL5AXX. "We are looking for qualified contesters to serve as referees. With the rules allowing both operators to transmit simultaneously the role for each referee is really challenging. " The referee application form can be downloaded from the WRTC 2018 web site at http://wrtc2018.de/index.php/en/competition/qualification/referee-application .
Referee qualifications include:
- Ability to travel to Germany in July 2018
- Fluency in English (all committee business is conducted in English)
- Ability to effectively monitor two audio streams at the same time
- Proficiency in both CW and SSB contesting
- Ability to stay awake and focused for the full 24-hour contest period
- Ability to send SMS text messages No hearing impairments
- No disqualification in the WRTC 2018 qualification period